Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday Night Pizza and Calzones

In honor of Friday Family Pizza/Movie night I thought I'd share Steve's pizza and calzone recipe. We've been doing Friday pizza night for a long time...I love to sit at the counter while Steve makes dinner. We have a glass of wine together and talk. We have music going and it's just a nice way to start our weekends.

Here's the Dough recipe...I make it during the day or during the week and freeze it. This makes enough for 4 pizza's. (The recipe was adapted from an OLD Woman's Day Cookbook that I bought in 1995!)

1 1/4 cups of warm water
1 envelope = 1 TBS active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
5 cups flour...(all purpose or bread)
2 eggs
2 tsp salt
olive oil

Mix water, yeast and sugar and let stand until foamy..about 10 min.
In a large bowl combine the yeast and eggs. Mix in 5 cups of flour and the salt..stir until dough pulls away from the sides. Place dough on floured surface and knead until smooth.
Place dough in large oiled bowl..turn to coat. Cover with a clean dishtowl and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.
Punch down dough and divide into 4 pieces. Shape into balls and cover with kitchen towl and let rest for 30 min.

For the Pizza and Calzones:

Roll out a ball of dough..brush with olive oil. Top with sauce and cheese (we generally use store bought pizza blend but sometimes use fresh mozzarella)

On Pizza we like carmelized onions (saute large yellow onion on the stove for about 20 min. until golden brown), chopped artichokes and olives and a sprinkling of feta...YUM!

On the kids Calzones we put cheese and pepperoni...fold in half and crimp the edges. Brush with a bit of olive oil.

Bake in 400 until done (for us it's usually about 12- 15 min.)
TGIF!!

2 comments:

  1. Pam, I adore this tradition of yours and the kids will no doubt carry it on (or something similar)
    as they become adults with families of their own.
    Thanks for the dough recipe! I've been looking for an easy one for our own pizza nights! Andrew is eager to expand his cooking repertoire too,and this is just the ticket! Love you durl, kiss that baby love for me! Oh, how I wish I lived closer so I could babysit! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna know how long you stood on the counter to take the picture!

    ReplyDelete